Login |

Frequently Asked Questions for Carers

Below are some frequently asked questions of clients and carers.

Who can access palliative care services?

Anyone with a life-threatening illness, their family, friends and carers as well as health professionals can access palliative care services for advice, information, referral and support.

What services are provided?

  • Community palliative care provides holistic care including nursing care, allied health, respite and practical support as well as information, equipment, medications and access to medical review and assessment in peoples’ homes.
  • Inpatient palliative care provides care to patients who require complex symptom and pain management or end-of-life care. Palliative care beds are located within acute hospitals as part of purpose-built sub-acute units or services, and as stand-alone services.
  • Specialist Palliative Care Consultancy teams provide advice, support, education and training to treating teams in hospitals, across acute and subacute services, outpatient clinics, residential aged care and to community palliative care services.
  • Outpatient clinics provide interdisciplinary assessment, care planning and interventions early in the care pathway of a person diagnosed with a life-threatening illness.

Is a referral required?

You do not need to have a doctor’s referral before contacting a palliative care service. Individuals, doctors, hospitals or family members can make referrals.  The palliative care staff, with your consent, will liaise with other service providers such as palliative care consultants, social workers and counsellors.

How do I find the service closest to where I live in Gippsland?

By entering your post code in the Find a Palliative Care Service (insert link) section on this site you will be directed to the Health Service closest to the town that you live in. Contact the Health Service and they will put you in touch with the Palliative Care team. You can also view and download the GRPCC Specialist Palliative Care Service Quickguide or the Palliative Care Services in Gippsland brochure. If you would like a hard copy of quickguide or brochure sent to you, please contact the GRPCC by phoning 03 5623 0684 or by emailing enquiries@grpcc.com.au.

How can I find a service outside of Gippsland?

If you live outside Gippsland or would like to find a Palliative Care Service in another part of the State, you can search the Victorian Department of Health’s Palliative Care Services Directory

How can I claim carers allowance / Payment?

Palliative Care Victoria and Palliative Care Australia have been advocating to make it easier for people to lodge an intent to claim a Carers Allowance or Carers Payment with the Commonwealth Department of Human Services. For helpful steps to reduce the delays and frustrations that can be experienced please review this information.